Ludum Dare 30 ended and it’s time to present our game and think about what went right and what went wrong. It was our first Ludum Dare, as mentioned in a previous post. It was an amazing experience for us and we had a lot of fun but no time to sleep as there were so many things to do. The theme was nice and we came up with an idea for a game very fast. We’ve created a game called Invasion.
It is a game about a group of warriors. Three districts of Derp nation decided to join forces and invade their world. They want to connect it to their own so that they can capture theirs territory(and probably enslave them). You play as one of the warriors and you’re being sent to defend the “Core Tower”. Electric core held inside the tower is generating an inter-dimensional shield and it’s the only thing that’s stopping Derps. It’s already getting weaker and Derps managed to connect some parts of their world to yours. If the core gets destroyed, there will be no hope left…
The game features local multiplayer so that you can team up with your friends and fight the Derps together!
What went right?
- Idea – the concept of wave defense in cel-shaded cartoony art style
- Zombies – as “nerd burglars” said in one of the comments below our submission “You pretty much can’t go wrong with Zombies!”
- Art – Invasion looks pretty nice for a game that was made in 72 hours
- Cooperation – Fighting with the help of your friends makes a game much more interesting
What went wrong?
- Unfinished gameplay – Unfortunately, we wasted a lot of time on characters and their animations because we had a lot of problems with them. As a result, we didn’t manage to add everything we designed to the game
- Balancing – The game is pretty unbalanced. Ninja’s speed doesn’t compansate his lower damage and you can’t play as Geek unless you have a team to gather coins for you
- Performance – Invasion might be a little bit laggy for some players. We couldn’t fix this before the deadline, because we didn’t know what caused the framerate to be a little bit choppy. Maybe if we find out we’ll release a fix for that.